1. Odisha has been declared ‘Top Performer’ in the Startup Ranking-2018 which was announced by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) at New Delhi.
2. This is the first-ever ranking of States on 38 parameters relating to their respective startup ecosystem besides feedback from a large number of beneficiaries. The key objective of the exercise, which began in January 2016, is to encourage States and Union Territories (UTs) to take proactive steps towards strengthening the startup ecosystems.
3. On the basis of performance, the States were recognised as the best performer, top performers, leaders, aspiring leaders, emerging States and beginners. Odisha has also been declared ‘Champion State’ in terms of startup policy implementation, incubation hub, seeding innovation, regulatory change framework, public procurement initiative and communication (awareness and outreach).
4. A total of 27 States and three UTs participated in the exercise. An evaluation committee comprising independent experts from the startup ecosystem assessed the responses across various parameters.
5. Odisha was one of the first few States in the country to come up with a dedicated Startup Policy apart from putting in place a transparent online portal for recognition and financial support to startups and incubators.
6. Startup Odisha is a flagship initiative of the State Government which aims to support 1,000 startups by 2020 apart from making Odisha one of the best startup hubs in the country.
7. Odisha has recognised 334 startups within a period of just 18 months. It has nine incubators, 12 nodal institutions and 110 mentors to support them.
8. Startups from Odisha are now regularly winning national and international awards while a few have catalysed venture capital funding.
Objectives of Odisha Startup Policy- 2016
1. Develop a world class “Startup Hub” in Odisha by 2020.
2. Encourage incubators including sector specific ones aligning with the State’s strengths and requirements
3. Create enabling environment and supporting eco-system that facilitates at least 1,000 Startups in next five years in the State
4. Take steps to provide skill-based training to encourage youth to take up Startups
5. Encourage all major companies operating out of Odisha to include skill and infrastructure development for Startups as an integral component of their CSR activities
6. Create a strong institutional framework for effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation of this policy
Sources and References
1. The New Indian Express
2. MSME Department, Government of Odisha