Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama, is a pioneer in creation of modern India. In 1961, the Sangeet Natak Akademi was reconstituted by the Government as a society and registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
1. The festivals of music, dance and drama presented or promoted by the Akademi are held all over India.
2. The great masters of the performing arts have been elected as Fellows of the Akademi.
3. The Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards conferred annually on eminent artists and scholars.
4. Financial assistance to artists for their work from the Akademi.
5. It has a large archive of audio and video tapes and remains the single most important resource for researchers in the field of performing arts.
6. The Akademi establishes and looks after institutions and projects of national importance in the field of performing arts. In 1959, the Akademi established the National School of Drama and in 1964, the Kathak Kendra). Jawaharlal Nehru Manipur Dance Academy in Imphal , the premier institution in teaching of Manipuri dance and music was established in 1954.
7. Being the apex body, the Akademi also advises and assists the Government of India in formulating and implementing policies and projects in the field.
Why it is important for OAS Mains 2018?
Recently Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA) launched the second phase of the Web Campaign ‘SANJHI-MUJH MEIN KALAKAR’. It is an initiative to document and promote the Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) and diverse cultural traditions of the country by direct public-participation. The literal meaning of the term SANJHI is “to share” and “to partner”. The first phase of this campaign was earlier initiated in the month of November 2018 during the festival season of Diwali.
Source: Indian Year Book 2019