Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the “Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN (Jaiv Indhan- Vatavaran Anukool Fasal Awashesh Nivaran) Yojana” for providing financial support to Integrated Bioethanol Projects using lignocellulosic biomass and other renewable feedstock.
About Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana:
1. “Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana” is being launched as a tool to create 2G Ethanol capacity in the country and attract investments in this new sector.
2. It will be supported with total financial outlay of Rs.1969.50 crore for the period from 2018-19 to 2023-24. Under this Yojana, 12 commercial scale and 10 demonstration scale second generation (2g) ethanol projects will be provided a Viability Gap Funding (VGF) support in two phases.
3. The scheme focuses to incentivize 2G Ethanol sector and support this nascent industry by creating a suitable ecosystem for setting up commercial projects and increasing Research & Development in this area.
4. The ethanol produced by the scheme beneficiaries will be mandatorily supplied to Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to further enhance the blending percentage under EBP Programme.
5. Centre for High Technology (CHT), a technical body under the aegis of MoP&NG, will be the implementation Agency for the scheme.
1. Meeting Government of India vision of reducing import dependence by way of substituting fossil fuels with Biofuels.
2. Achieving the GHG emissions reduction targets through progressive blending/substitution of fossil fuels.
3. Addressing environment concerns caused due to burning of biomass/ crop residues & improve health of citizens.
4. Improving farmer income by providing them remunerative income for their otherwise waste agriculture residues.
5. Creating rural & urban employment opportunities in 2G Ethanol projects and Biomass supply chain.
6. Contributing to Swachh Bharat Mission by supporting the aggregation of non¬food biofuel feedstocks such as waste biomass and urban waste.
7. Indigenizing of second generation biomass to ethanol technologies.