India falls to 51st position in EIU’s Democracy Index . India’s overall score fell from 7.23 in 2018 to 6.90 on the Index that provides a snapshot of the current state of democracy worldwide for 165 independent states and two territories.
About Democracy Index
The index is based on five categories:
- electoral process and pluralism
- the functioning of government
- political participation
- political culture
- civil liberties.
Classification of Countries
Based on their total score, the countries are classified as one of four types of regime:
- Full democracy– scores greater than 8
- Flawed democracy– scores greater than 6 and less than or equal to 8
- Hybrid regime– scores greater than 4 and less than or equal to 6
- Authoritarian regime– scores less than or equal to 4
India was included in the “flawed democracy” category.
Score of BRICS and our Neighboring Countries
- China’s score fell to 2.26 in the 2019 index, and the country is now ranked 153rd, close to the bottom of the global rankings.
- Brazil was ranked 52nd with a score of 6.86, Russia stood at 134th with a score of 3.11.
- Pakistan was ranked 108th on the overall list with a score of 4.25
- Sri Lanka was at 69th place with a score of 6.27
- Bangladesh (at 80th with 5.88 score).
The Top 10 Performers
The overall list was topped by Norway, followed by Iceland and Sweden. Other countries in the top 10 include New Zealand at the fourth place, Finland (5th), Ireland (6th), Denmark (7th), Canada (8th), Australia (9th) and Switzerland (10th).
- Economic Times