- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) released the 12th edition of the “Democracy Index 2019: A year of democratic setbacks and popular protest”. The Global Democracy Index is based on the functioning of government, election process and pluralism, political participation, political culture and civil liberties. Based on their total score, countries are classified into 4 types:
- Governance full democracy (scoring more than 8 points)
- Flawed democracy (more than 6 but scoring 8 or less than 8)
- Hybrid regime (more than 4 but scoring 6 or less than 6)
- Authoritarian regime (having 4 or less)
- Key results:
- Norway tops the list with a score of 9.87
- North Korea is at the bottom on 167th place with 1.08 points.
- World’s biggest democracy India was placed at 51st position with 6.9 points
- According to the report released by the National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC), Jammu and Kashmir has registered the highest Inpatient Department, IPD care in the country.
- Deutsche Bank has projected that Indian economy will reach $7 trillion by 2030 in its research report “Imagine 2030”.
- India was ranked 84th in the Henley Passport Index 2020 released recently. Top 3 rankings are as follows: 1) Japan; 2) Singapore; 3) Germany & South Korea.
- The Henley Passport Index was launched in 2006 with the aim of providing a global picture of freedom of travelling. The Passport index includes Visa-Frees score, World Openness score, Welcoming score and Global Mobility score. When these scores are high, the passport index is also high and such a passport is said to be highly powerful.
- World Economic Forum released the 1st edition of Global Social Mobility Report 2020 titled “The Global Social Mobility Report 2020: Equality, Opportunity and a New Economic Imperative”. Social mobility can be understood as the movement in personal circumstances either “upwards” or “downwards” of an individual in relation to those of their parents. India was ranked at 76th position while Denmark topped the list.
- Jharia in Jharkhand is the most polluted city in India according to a Greenpeace India Report. Lunglei in Mizoram is the least polluted city in the country. As per the report, 6 of the top-10 polluted cities are in Uttar Pradesh comprising of Noida, Ghaziabad, Bareilly, Allahabad, Moradabad and Firozabad.
- According to World Gold Council (WGC) report title “World Gold Outlook 2020”, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has been ranked 6th in the largest buyer of sovereign gold abroad.
- West Bengal emerged as the top State in vegetable production in 2018-19. West Bengal has overtaken Uttar Pradesh. Andhra Pradesh continued to hold on to the pole position in fruits with 17.61 mt, followed by Maharashtra (10.82 mt) and Uttar Pradesh (10.65 mt).
Related and Sponsored Posts
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11