The nature and standard of questions in this paper will be such that a well educated person will be able to answer them without any specialized study. The questions will be such as to test a candidate’s general awareness of a variety of subjects, which will have relevance for a career in Civil Services.
(a) History of Modern India and Indian Culture-
1) The History of Modern India will cover the following :
History of India since 1857
Important personalities who shaped the Freedom Movements in Odisha and India
Social Reform Movements
2) Indian culture will cover the following;
Indian culture from ancient times to modern times
Temple architecture of Odisha.
Socio-cultural developments in Odisha
(b) Geography of India will cover the following:
Physical, economic and social geography of India.
Odisha’s Physiography and Drainage system
Odisha’s Natural Resources – Water, forest and minerals.
(c) Indian Polity will include the following
Constitution of India
Political system of India
Government and politics in Odisha
Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) in Odisha.
(d) Current National issues and topics of social relevance
This part is intended to test the candidate’s awareness of current national issues and topics of social relevance in the present day India such as;
1. Demography & Human Resource Development
2. Behavioural & Social issues and Social Welfare problems : Child labour,
gender inequality, adult literacy, rehabilitation of the handicapped and other deprived segments of society, drug abuse, public health, education and unemployment.
(e) Legal and environmental issues :
1. Human Rights
2. Corruption in public life
3. Communal harmony
4. Protection of minorities
5. Internal security and related issues
6. Environment and ecological issues; ecological preservation, conservation of natural resources and national heritage.
7. Role of national institutions, their relevance and need for change
(a) India and the World :
This part is intended to test candidate’s awareness of India’s relationship with the world in various spheres, such as the following;
1. Foreign Affairs
2. External security and related matters
3. Nuclear policy
4. Indians abroad
(b) Indian Economy :
1. This part will include the following;
I Planning, economic development, economic reforms and development of the Corporate Sector in India
II Economic and Trade issues
III Foreign trade
IV Role and functions of IMF, World Bank and WTO V Reserve Bank of India – its role and functions
2. I. Odishan Economy : Development during the post Reform Period.
II. Regional disparity
(c) International Affairs & Institutions :
This part will include the following;
1 . Important events in world affairs
2. International institutions like UN, ILO, EU, SAARC, WHO, ICJ
(d) Developments in the field of science & technology, communications and space :
In this part questions will test the candidate’s awareness of the developments in the field of science and technology, communications and space and also on basic ideas of computer;
(e) Statistical Analysis, Graphs & Diagrams :
This part will include exercises to test the candidates ability to draw common sense conclusions from information presented in graphical, statistical or diagrammatical form and to point out deficiencies, limitations or inconsistencies therein. The candidates should also be aware of techniques of counting and elementary probability